Wednesday, January 20, 2010

METEORITE MEN - GOLD BASIN

The Gold Basin location brought back lots of memories. It was there that I hunted with Steve and Geoff for the first time, thanks to our mutual friend, the late Jim Kriegh. It was just after the Tucson gem and mineral show and Jim had invited me to Gold Basin to join him and his hunting partner, Twink Monrad. Geoff and Steve had the same invitation. Though in the company of incredible people who turned out to be good friends, I spent a good deal of my time cussing a blue streak and being generally annoyed. For you see, it was one of my first hunts using a metal detector and I wasn’t finding a thing. I got skunked. They were finding meteorites all around me. Me nada, zip, bupkis. If it weren’t for the generosity of Jim and Twink I would have gone home empty handed. Just goes to show you meteorite hunting is not easy and, like any profession, takes time to become proficient.


Geoff and Steve at my favorite desert artifact.

Steve, on the hunt.

Steve and Geoff, ready for filming.

Geoff and Steve getting ready to sail.

On the water.
We were plagued by flat tires.

Geoff, goofing around before handing over the jack.
The incomparable, Twink Monrad.

You can take the boy out of the punk band but you can't take the punk band out of the boy.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment